Home » Blog Posts » My Brave Sister

My Brave Sister

Ok! It really amazes me that the person you think of as indecisive and incapable of making any decisions on her own has just made a huge jump ahead in the world of technology.

image (1)I am referring to my sister, who is almost three years younger than me. All my life she has driven me crazy (and I’m sure vice versa :-)) but she has taken the plunge and gotten a cochlear implant. Yesterday was her activation day and she is doing really well. (See picture of her with her new cochlear implant)

She and I have always been different. She was always more confident about sharing her hearing loss whereas I always tried to hide it. She was always book smart and I always had more common sense. She is tall and thin and I am short and fat (ok, that has nothing to do with any of this but it is true :-). Currently she has an amazing career whereas I have an amazing family. She can’t make decisions by herself without involving anyone and everyone. I make them regardless of what anyone thinks. You know, together we might make up the perfect person…minus the disabilities.

Kudos to you my brave sister.

If you have an interest in following her cochlear implant journey you can click here.

About these ads

15 Comments

1. Jessica N and Makiko says:

Correction: Together you all might make up the perfect person even WITH your disabilities. :) You two sound like you really two are almost polar opposites. :) Fun post!

2. Janice says:

Thank you for sharing with us. Best of luck you and your sister!

3. Beth Pilla says:

Great little story about your little sis!! Nice job Andrea! She is brave! I agree!

4. Jo Murphy says:

Good for her! I must go back through your posts. Do you both have hearing loss. Are you twins? Jo

• We are definitly not twins…I’m cuter :-)

We both have Usher Syndrome which is hearing impairment and vision loss together. WE have both been wearing eharing aids since toddler age and she started losing her vision in her late teens whereas I started a few years ago. I am 44 now.

• Jo Murphy says:

You must be very cute because the back of your sisters ear was AOK!
        Can I ask a dumb question? We work with closed caption video. There is of course no method of teaching that would be ideal.
        Were there teaching and learning strategies which made this learning journey easier for you?
        Did you find school frustrating? (It’s OK to rant) I will read back through your posts as well.
        Jo

• My sister and I would give you different answers to this but for me learning, test taking, keeping up with everything going on in class was always a struggle. I never would have admitted that back then but now I can look back and see the whole picture. I was an average student struggling to make Cs when my sister always made straight As. I always hated her for that but such is life. The biggest thing I resented when I was in high school was to be made to feel different than everyone else. I had to go to speech classes a couple times a week and it got to the point where I was cutting class (just that class…since I was a “good” kid.) I hated the speech teacher with every fiber of my being. Not only was she short, fat, and ugly but she didn’t help me.

• Jo Murphy says:

How amazing – this is what we are working on. Finding a way to be sure that no student feeks excluded or penalised in the classroom. Thanks for such honest sharing. I will be back to read further, Jo

• Jo Murphy says:

Hello again. Could I quote just this much of what you just said “I’m not really sure what would have helped but the only thing I know is that I didn’t want to be singled out. I am still like that to a degree. I prefer blending with the crowd rather than being the center of attention. If there is a way to teach without making someone feel different or stupid then I am all for that.” on this page……
            I know that you don’t need to hand sign but when I looked up communication it was the most human image I could find! It doesn’t matter if you don’t want to. I am hoping at a later stage you might consent to an interview? Jo

• Janice says:

Sound like my brother and I same things. We both have RP and hard of hearing. I am two years old older than my brother but he only can see shadow. I can see far away and read newspaper. Both of us mid sixty. As far as Cochlear Implants not ready still were hearing aids mine 90% hearing loss still chat on the phone. I guess different types RP genes